What's New on Ruhaniat.org, November 2013
Our Jamiat Khas (leadership circle) held a very successful annual meeting this month at the Abode of the Message in upstate New York. Murshida Halima Sussman writes, "we are left with a deeper-than-ever gratitude for this beautiful path we share. Thank you for coming and being part of this year's retreat. May our 'walking' together be of benefit to all."
Ruhaniat events for 2014 are appearing on our Calendar, and we note that for January and February, our opportunities for spiritual enrichment tend to be in some of the friendlier climates, such as California, New Orleans, Mexico and India! There are also youth-directed Sufi Youth retreats, for December in Oregon and the first-ever Sufi Youth Jam in Colorado for April! Visit our calendar and see if anything appeals to you. Note that in February 2014 the Ruhaniat will host the Urs Celebration of Hazrat Inayat Khan in India. Information here about joining Pir Shabda and friends for this inspiring journey!
Dance and Sit: A Conversation with Pir Shabda Kahn is an excellent, very frank interview published this fall in Inquiring Mind, a journal dedicated to the creative transmission of Buddhadharma to the West. Click on the title to read it online.
Sufi SoulWork Blog from the Self and Soul Center is now online. Raphael and Yahaya write, "In these blogs we will explore personal & planetary events as if they were a dream, symbolically, energetically and through the lens of our inner selves. ... If we take the perspective that there is an interconnected, coherent, informational (Akashic, imaginal or god field) which permeates and penetrates our cosmos and beings then we can begin to open to the synchronicities and deeper meanings life presents us."
A beautiful new book, Sacred Voices: Stories from the Caravan of Women by two of our beloved sisters and Sufi teachers is in the final phases of production and will be published in 2014! Written by Murshida Mariam Baker and Habiba Cynthia Dollard, this book is the culmination of years of research and collaboration, resulting in a rich text illustrated with inspired artwork. What began as a portrayal of the Feminine Face of Islam has now expanded to include stories of Sufi and Islamic women in the present day and from a historical perspective, whose contributions continue to shape and change the world. A collector's edition is being offered for pre-sale.
The Southwest Sufi Community Dargah Retreat Hut is ready for retreatants!
Dear Friends, remember remaining very still and listening to the sound of a Tibetan bowl or a bird's song in the woods until the absolute very end? In truth, every sound goes on forever, there is just a moment at which we can no longer hear it. The Southwest Sufi Community offers this type of quiet, with time and endless space for solo retreat, while staying at the Dargah Retreat Hut. For those seeking time off the grid to write, observe spiritual practice, daydream, commune with Nature, please follow this link to read more.
From last month's updates ...
- More groundwork for design of the Murshid Sam Dargah Project has been completed, and a new report will be posted soon. We have already raised and pledged some 30% of the estimated financial cost. Consider donating, keep the momentum building!
- The precious writings of Papa Swami Ramdas, Murshid SAM's 'Hindu guru', are now available as free downloads from Anandashram. Highly recommended by Pir Shabda and Murshid Wali Ali.
- Our beloved Sheikh Bodhi has expanded his teaching and leadership concentration on wholehearted and sacred living, aging, dying and death -- now presenting a weekly online radio show. "Death Tracks". Featuring music, guests and conversation on the topic, including Near Life Experiences. "We're all gonna die, and broccoli ain't gonna save you!"
- Hazrat Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan said "If you will preserve my words as I have spoken, it will be as saving my life." The Nekbakht Foundation, headquartered in Amsterdam and dedicated to this aim, has a fine new web site detailing their mission and their offerings, along with a huge online gallery of photographs of Pir-o-Murshid. The work of the Foundation is to research, transcribe, edit and publish The Complete Works of Hazrat Inayat Khan, using the original word-for-word shorthand records of what he actually said and when he said it. These are being made available as free downloads on their site, as well as in book form from Omega Publications.
Murshid SAM Dargah Project announced
In the East, after a great Teacher passes from this life, the burial place of their body is recognized as a locus of great power and blessing. As a place of pilgrimage, it is generally marked by some sort of shrine -- an edifice built to honor the Teacher and to accommodate those who wish to spend some time there connecting on the inner planes.
Murshid SAM chose to be buried high in the mountains of New Mexico, at the Lama community, where he had visited and taught during his lifetime. A simple shrine already exists, but for some time it has been Pir Shabda's inspired vision to see a dargah built which would be worthy of Murshid's tremendous influence and transmission -- a monument to last 500 years. This great project is now begun. Preliminary plans are published, funds are being raised, and Ruhaniat.org will make updates available until that day when the dargah is completed. Visit dargahproject.ruhaniat.org on this site to learn more.
The elegant new edition of "THE BOWL OF SAKI COMMENTARY" is now available for purchase from the Sufi Ruhaniat Bookstore - Self & Soul Center. This beautiful volume is filled with the wisdom of two great Sufi masters Hazrat Inayat Khan and Murshid Samuel Lewis. Newly edited and updated, this is a perfect addition to your Sufi library and to give as a gift. An electronic version will also be available soon. Order your books today. Visit the online bookstore to see more great Sufi books as well. Read more.
ALL RECORDINGS NOW ONLINE from the 2013 Federation of the Sufi Message gathering, "River of Guidance through the Streams of the Message", sponsored this year by SRI. Teachings and practices from senior leaders of the various Sufi groups, in the world-wide lineage and transmission of Hazrat Inayat Khan. Now posted, teachings from Pir Zia and Sharif Graham, the Quwwali Concert and the staging of a play based on Noorunnisa Inayat Khan's 'Jataka Tales'. (Previous years are also available on the Federation web site.) For all devotees of the Message.
Have you seen our NEW YOUTH SECTION on Ruhaniat.org? Our awesome youth council and our web committee have created a new, distinctive sub-site for Ruhaniat youth activities. The scope is international and the content is created by our up-and-coming leaders. From the Ruhaniat.org home page, click the 'Sufi Ruhaniat Youth' button near the top of the left sidebar -- or use the web alias, SufiYouth.com.
PILGRIMAGE TO INDIA FOR THE URS, FEBRUARY 2014: Once again the Ruhaniat has been invited to host the urs celebration of Hazrat Inayat Khan at his dargah (tomb) in New Delhi. An international group will be joining Pir Shabda, Murshida Leilah, Murshid Abraham and Murshida Halima for this joyous event, Jan 31 - Feb 9. Throughout the program there will be morning raga classes and Sufi teachings, with Dances of Universal Peace and zikr. We will host and participate in the 3 days of Urs activities, including Indian music performances, Qawwali music, the Urs day, and presentations by Sufi leaders and local Sufi Pirs. We will have the blessing of receiving teachings from the 12th Tai Situpa Rinpoche, and there will be group outings to numerous important shrines and holy places. Ruhaniat.org/india2014
ONLINE SUFI CLASS opportunities: Participate at home or form a group with local friends on the path: for information and registration visit Murshid Wali Ali's web site. In addition, wide variety of teaching talks by Pir Shabda Kahn can be found on his web site.
"When the heart is open, a person will be most willing to give ..." Read a personal anecdote told by Hazrat Inayat Khan, in the new letter from Murshid Tansen on the subject of financial generosity to the Ruhaniat. Click here for ways to support the Ruhaniat including easy online giving.'
More News of the Ruhaniat
- You can now order the feature-rich iPad/ iPhone version of Physicians of the Heart from iTunes -- just go to 'iTunes Store' on your device and do a search for the title. You will enjoy the built in cross-referencing and the multimedia integration. Less flashy but functional and convenient e-reader versions are available for Kindle, Nook and Kobo. Check it out -- now you can take it with you!
- Subscribe now for free to The Ruhaniat Video Channel on YouTube (see how). View videos of Joe Miller and Murshid SAM, a Sufi Youth video by Andres Otero, recent Dharma Night talks with Murshid Wali Ali, a weekend retreat with Murshida Halima and Murshid Abraham, and the popular "Seven Steps for Life and Death" by Pir Shabda. Whether you have five minutes or five hours, you're sure to find something inspiring. (If you would like to contribute video that you have taken in the past, please contact us to let us know. Or you may volunteer to video a future SRI event.)
- You can receive occasional email updates for 'What's New on Ruhaniat.org' by subscribing here. These emails are sent about once a month.
- Did you know there is an interactive email list for initiated mureeds of the Ruhaniat to engage in spiritual discourse (sohbet)? There is a lively heart-based sharing as well as event announcements and the daily Bowl of Saki Commentary. To join that group, send an email with your full name and the name of your spiritual guide to email@example.com.
Warm regards to all, Shafee Howard Ballinger, webmaster